Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Looking and Comprehending

Well, if it isn't you guys. The Wizard101 "community," as you're called. Hello. This is a transmission from deep space. It has crossed the intervening cosmic darkness, transcended the innermost depths of radiating asteroid belts and swirling nebulae, and it has arrived here, on Wizard101 Information, my old blog.

Ladies and gentlemen, my name is Dustin MoonCatcher. My friends, it has been far too long since we last spoke. So much has transpired, great things, some of them good, some of them not so good, and some of them even downright bad. Nevertheless, I have somehow, through an unfortunate and complex combination of sympathy and nostalgia and egomania, decided that the time was right for me to grace the Internet with another post here at my old stomping ground, Wizard101 Information. Friendly, your evil plan has worked better than you had yourself imagined. For those confused-
Yes, folks, I am now Tweeting again. That's rather degrading to say, but my God, it felt good to say it.

Before I get into what I've been up to, let me give you all a most-thoroughly-deserved clap on the back. What have you guys been up to besides presenting to this online community a wealth of massive and inspirational growth, that not only teaches tips for online interaction but so intricately sets wonderful guidelines for any kind of interaction, any kind of creative process, any kind of thing? You guys kick some serious a**, even though, this being a community [fortunately] brimming with children, you can't exactly go shouting words like a** off whenever you want. I kindly beg for your forgiveness.

You guys wanna know what's severely surprising to me? This blog still gets some impressive hits. There hasn't been a post on it in over a year, I think, until now, and yet, as I just a few minutes ago looked back at its stats, it has had consistently high (mid-70s, low-80s) page views. What about this blog could possibly keep you guys coming back to it? David and I were never that great. I've also heard that the Grandmaster Gear guides were helpful, but by now, surely Wizard101 has introduced higher levels, of which I know nothing, the names of which I might guess in my complete ignorance are High Mage, or Gandalf, or Professor, even.

So a thunderous and humble congratulations I send to you, Wizard101 community. You've done good.

And me? I've done.

"How's it going, Dustin?"

"It's going."

"I said, how's it going, Dustin?"

"It's going. You know."

You guys would be completely ashamed if you heard how I was spending my time nowadays. I have literally not played a game, despite the occasional Minecraft splurge, since I went cold-turkey on Wizards, and boy, it has felt great. I don't shame you guys at all for being so involved in this virtual reality, but when you quit it, even though you don't wanna, it's like quitting a powerful addiction. You start to soak up reality much more. Everything becomes a bit more beautiful, a but less fuzzy, right in front of your eyes, and you understand size a bit more. Your perspective starts to change a bit.

You try to meditate to make up for this loss. You read some books. You listen to some music. I have done  all of these three things, and my God, I've really changed as a person. That's really why I'm here today to talk to you guys -- well, besides from congratulating you. I wanted to share some stuff with you that I've met since leaving Wizard101, and I hope you guys will find it as illuminating I as did.

And after I do that, I want to reinstall Wizard101 and I want to come back for a party, 'cause I know you guys like to throw those, though not in the figurative sense. YES, guys, I will come back, but I don't intend to stay back. I'm living the high life right now. I love not playing games.

All right, I've got the two top life-changing things for you on my list that I've met since I've left Wizard101. Any of you -- please excuse me -- older folks in the community probably have heard of both my life-changers. If you haven't, I promise, you're in for a treat. They are, in no particular order-

Well, before you watch this video, allow me to explain what it is. It's a commentary on a photograph taken by Voyager 1 as the latter turned around out past Pluto, on the suggestion of a man named Carl Sagan, to take a picture of Earth from what we might consider the deepest reaches of space. Earth, in the picture, which you'll see in the video, is barely a pixel, and Sagan's remarks on it had a hugely powerful effect on me.


Ah, that's unbelievable any time I watch it. The way Carl Sagan turned perspective on its head was really astounding for me, and I was completely stunned for a few days after first hearing his remarks a few months back. Literally, I could not get up from my seat for hours. I sat just marveling the message Dr. Sagan was conveying, and I completely flipped out, and went out and bought some of his books. In The Demon-Haunted World he says something which I consider particularly striking: "For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, no matter how satisfying and reassuring." Since, I've watched his Cosmos series, which is available on Hulu and Netflix. I'm telling you, this was a man far ahead of his time. Real inspiration.

The next (and final thing I'll share tonight) thing for me was discovering a band called Neutral Milk Hotel.  They wrote, headed by a man named Jeff Mangum, the most beautiful record ever recorded, which is In The Aeroplane Over The Sea. This record changed my entire opinion on what could be done with music (keep in mind I am a musician). Mangum squeezes so much emotion out of his voice, it's unbelievable. As if you needed any further proof.



If you have not already done so, you must listen to the full album. In The Aeroplane Over The Sea will change you. This is music at its finest.

In other news, I've been doing a ridiculous amount of writing, most of it I don't know what it means, so I won't bother posting any of it. Just thought I'd share with you guys what's been going on in my life, because honestly, I really do miss you all, and I think about this community a lot. Here's what strikes me:

I've never seen any of your faces. I don't know, at heart, what your beliefs are, what your beliefs aren't, what kinds of things you care about, and what kinds of things you don't care about. I don't know any of you. But despite this indelible fact, you've all been able to impact me for the better, even though this is a remarkably tiny world, and we are remarkably tiny beings. When we do small things they're huge to us, and small to the vastness of everything, but who cares?

Sure, Einstein cares. He is the one who after all said, "Time is relative." Thus, the theory of relativity.

However, do not ever forget that it was also Einstein who said, "Joy in looking and comprehending is nature's most beautiful gift."

-D.M.





2 comments:

  1. Finally, you have posted after all this months of silence. Good to see that you have time to share what you have done in your life and what you might do in the future. I hope you post more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey guys! I found a really awesome site where they are giving away 1 year free membership codes
    Website link - http://wizard101freecodes.blogspot.com/
    Go grab your membership code before it is too late! have fun!

    ReplyDelete